Matthew Jackson BSc (Hons) MEWI MBCS EnCE
Matthew Jackson is the Director and Senior Forensic Consultant of Athena Forensics. He has been involved in the investigation of computer evidence for over 14 years during which time he has conducted over 950 computer investigations including cases involving indecent images of children, serious fraud, terrorism and murder and has attended court as an expert witness on a large number of occasions.
Prior to this Matthew was a Director and Senior Forensic Consultant for another digital forensic specialist company for 4 years, during this time he dealt with approximately 220 cases involving computer based evidence.
He is a Professional Member of the British Computer Society and is registered with the Law Society as a validated expert witness, and also appears as an expert in the Expert Witness - Expert Consultant Directory, he is a vetted member of the UK Register of Expert Witnesses and a full member of the Expert Witness Institute.
Matthew is a member of the Industrial Liaison Committee, he has also been a member of the Information Operations Research Group and a Visiting Lecturer on the Computer Forensics BSc Degree course for the Department of Computing at the University of Wales. Matthew has written published articles on computer forensics for legal and technical journals.
Previously he was employed by Thames Valley Police as a Computer Forensic Technician at the Hi-Tech Crime Unit for three years, during this time he provided technical support for their Operation Ore investigation, processing nearly 300 legal cases, and he has worked on Fraud (HM Customs and Excise), Drug (The National Criminal Intelligence Service) and Murder inquiries (The National Crime Squad). Matthew received a Chief Constable's Commendation for his work at Thames Valley Police.
Matthew holds the degree of Bachelor of Science awarded by the BCUC, Buckinghamshire, the EnCase Certified Computer Examiners (EnCE) Qualification and has also completed the Computer Forensic Foundation Course at the Royal Military College, Shrivenham, the Intermediate and Advanced EnCase courses at Guidance Software, Liverpool as well as the EnCase Certified Examiner program and the Institute for Communications Arbitrations and Forensics mobile telephone examination and extended mobile telephone courses.
Matthew Jackson is now considered by many to be the UK's leading computer forensics expert witness.
- Operation Duma - Large Multi Handed VAT Carousel Fraud, investigated by Revenue Customs Prosecution Office.
- Instructed on behalf of a Premiership Football Club as part of Employment Tribunal Proceedings.
- Operation Pallial - Historic Child Sexual Offences, investigated by National Crime Agency.
- R - v - KL - Terrorist Offences, investigated by the North West Counter Terrorism Unit.
- Operation Lakeland - Paedophile Ring investigated by Devon & Cornwall Police.
- Corporate Fraud Investigation into the Director of a Supermarket Supplier.
- Operation Carbon - Largest Firearms Investigation, investigated by Greater Manchester Police.
- Operation Ore - Indecent Images, International operation investigated by Thames Valley Police.
- Corporate Fraud Investigation into the Managing Director of a National Chain of Health Clubs and Hotels that led to dismissal and Criminal Investigation.
- Operation Murray - Murder, investigated by Surrey Police.
- Operation Sequin - DDoS attack on Home Office website, investigated by West Midlands Cyber Crime Regional Unit.
- R – v – CW– Anonymous DDoS attack of Visa, Mastercard & Paypal.